LIVE news from Ukraine
- Russian PM: Nearly 1.5 million Ukrainians in occupied territories given Russian passports 05/30/2023Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin said on May 30 that nearly 1.5 million Ukrainians in the occupied territories have been given Russian passports over the past nine months, according to Russian state news agency RIA Novosti.
- Media: Italy to deliver new military aid package for Ukraine 05/30/2023Italy will provide Ukraine with another military aid package, the seventh since the beginning of Russia’s all-out war, Italian news outlet La Repubblica reported on May 30.
- What will it take for Ukraine to maintain and operate the M1 Abrams? 05/30/2023The Ukrainian military has passed another milestone by starting to master the M1 Abrams, the top-notch main battle tank to be provided by the U.S.According to the Pentagon, some 400 Ukrainians are training for the job at U.S. Army bases in Germany. After many months of deliberations
- Melitopol Mayor reports explosions, says smoke rising above Russian military base 05/30/2023"Powerful explosions" occurred in the Russian-occupied city of Melitopol, followed by black smoke blowing over a former factory turned into a Russian military base, exiled Mayor Ivan Fedorov said on May 30.
- US, UK officials have conflicting reactions to drone attack on Moscow 05/30/2023U.S. and U.K. officials have had conflicting reactions to the May 30 drone attack in Moscow, prompting yet another debate as to whether Ukraine has the right to launch strikes on Russian territory.
- Russian authorities detained Ukrainian woman helping to return children from Russian-occupied territories 05/30/2023Russian state-controlled news agency RIA Novosti published a video showing the interrogation of a woman who claimed to have tried bringing two orphans from Russian-occupied Henichesk to Germany via Kyiv. RIA Novosti called the woman a representative of the NGO Save Ukraine, but the organization’s press service said she was the godmother of one of […]
- Fighting smarter: Ukraine’s transformation into a military innovator 05/30/2023Before Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine, 27-year-old engineer Maxim Sheremet was engaged in the manufacturing of commercial drones.He worked for the state defense company Ukroboronprom, a strategic manufacturer of weapons and military hardware in Ukraine, and later at Evolve Dynamics, a U.K. engineering company specializing in
- IMF reaches agreement to lend $900 million to Ukraine 05/30/2023The International Monetary Fund (IMF) reported on May 30 that it reached a staff-level agreement with Ukrainian officials that could lead to the disbursement of a $900 million tranche under the Extended Fund Facility (EFF) Arrangement.
- Ukraine's ambassador to Germany says 'not a single piece of land' will be given to Russia 05/30/2023Ukraine's Ambassador to Germany Oleksiy Makeyev told German television channel RTL on May 30 that Ukraine would not make any territorial concessions to Russia and that peace talks had to include reparations.
- Putin comments on Moscow drone attack, threatens with 'mirror actions' 05/30/2023Russian dictator Vladimir Putin commented on a May 30 drone attack against Moscow, blaming it on Ukraine and threatening Kyiv with "mirror actions," reported Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty's Russian service.
- Zelensky urges South Korea to provide air defense systems to Ukraine 05/30/2023President Volodymyr Zelensky expressed his wish for South Korea to provide air defense systems to Ukraine in an interview published by the daily newspaper Chosun on May 30, stressing that it qualified as defense aid, not arms support.
- Power outages reported in several Ukrainian regions, Ukrenergo pledges to restore supply 'in coming hours' 05/30/2023Emergency power outages were introduced in parts of Kyiv, Kharkiv, Poltava, Vinnytsia, and Sumy around midday on May 30 due to a decrease in the system's frequency, reported Ukraine's Energy Ministry.
- Ukraine's parliament lowers enlistment age for young adults 05/30/2023The Verkhovna Rada, Ukraine's parliament, voted in favor of proposed legislation to lower the maximum age of military enlistment for young adults from 27 to 25, lawmaker Yaroslav Zhelezniak reported on May 30.
- Black smoke rises above occupiers' base following powerful explosions in Melitopol 05/30/2023Powerful explosions in occupied Melitopol have been followed by black smoke rising in the area of the Russian-occupied Avtokolorlit factory. Source: Ivan Fedorov, the Mayor of Melitopol, on Telegram Details: At approximately 18:30, the mayor wrote that the entire city had heard "loud explosions" in Melitopol, and promised to provide more details later.
- Russian sabotage group attempts to enter Ukraine's Kharkiv Oblast – General Staff report 05/30/2023A Russian sabotage and reconnaissance group made an unsuccessful attempt to cross Ukraine's state border and enter Kharkiv Oblast on Tuesday, 30 May. Source: General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on Facebook, information as of 18:00 on 30 May Quote from the General Staff: "Today, an enemy sabotage and reconnaissance group made an […]
- Russian forces did not assault Bakhmut on 30 May – General Staff report 05/30/2023Over the course of today, 30 May, Russian forces did not undertake any offensive operations on the Bakhmut and Lyman fronts. Source: General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on Facebook, information as of 18:00 on 30 May Quote from the General Staff: "Enemy forces did not undertake offensive operations on the Lyman front […]
- SOF fighters successfully ambush Russian troops on Dnipro river 05/30/2023The Special Operations Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine told the press about a combat mission on one of the islands in Kherson Oblast and the successful destruction of a Russian boat. Source: SOF press service Quote: "A successful ambush on the Russian military was arranged by the operators of the SOF of Ukraine […]
- White House on drone attack in Moscow: We do not approve it 05/30/2023The United States is still collecting data on drone strikes in Moscow on Tuesday morning and it says it does not endorse the attacks on Russian territory. Source: This was announced on Tuesday 30 May by the spokesman for the White House, reports European Pravda with reference to Reuters Details: The statement said that the […]
- NATO Secretary General: No sign of aid fatigue in Western states 05/30/2023Jens Stoltenberg, Secretary General of the North Atlantic Alliance, believes that Western states do not show any signs of fatigue over military aid for Ukraine in its war against Russia. Source: Stoltenberg stated this on Tuesday during an event in Oslo organised by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, as reported by European Pravda with […]
- "All our relatives are in heaven": Police evacuate 3 orphaned children from Donetsk Oblast 05/30/2023Police officers have evacuated three orphaned children from the village of New-York in Donetsk Oblast; the children were hiding from daily shelling in a half-destroyed building. The National Police of Ukraine said that Yana, 11, Denys, 9, and Ania, 7, were left in their family home on their own after their mother passed away from […]
- Ukrainian woman detained in Russia is safe, but was unable to take her godson with her 05/30/2023The Ukrainian woman whose interrogation video was shown by the Russian media outlet RIA Novosti is now safe and no longer in Russia. Source: The Save Ukraine Foundation in a comment to the BBC Russian Service Details: Kremlin propagandists released a video of the interrogation of a woman whom they referred to as an employee […]
- "We got out through a broken wall": how children in Kyiv escaped from house that caught on fire during Russian attack 05/30/2023Children who live in a 24-storey building in the Holosiivskyi district of Kyiv, where a fire broke out as a result of a Russian night drone attack on 30 May, explained how they managed to get out of the burning apartments.
- Ukraine has right to defend itself beyond its borders – UK Foreign Secretary 05/30/2023UK Foreign Secretary James Cleverly has said that Ukraine has a "legitimate right" to defend itself and can "project force" beyond its borders. Source: James Cleverly during a press conference in Estonia, as reported by Sky News Details: When asked about this morning's drone attack in Moscow and whether Ukraine has the right to attack […]
- Russia claims it has issued 1.5 million Russian passports to residents of occupied territories of Ukraine 05/30/2023The Russian government has claimed that it has issued nearly 1.5 million Russian passports to residents of the occupied territories of Ukraine in the past eight months. Source: TASS, Krym.Realii (Crimea.
- Italy prepares new package of military assistance to Ukraine, media suggests this will include SAMP/T air defence systems 05/30/2023On Tuesday 30 May, Guido Crosetto, Italian Minister of Defence, announced the preparation of another package of military assistance to Ukraine. Source: This was reported by European Pravda Details: Crosetto discussed the issue of military assistance to Ukraine during a hearing in the parliamentary committee on control over special services.
- Ukraine to receive second IMF disbursement of US$900 million: Fund's mission accomplished 05/30/2023Ukraine has successfully passed the first review of a four-year IMF arrangement and will receive a second US$900 million disbursement. Source: Gavin Gray, Head of the IMF mission in Ukraine "I am pleased to announce that IMF staff and the Ukrainian authorities have reached a staff-level agreement on the first review of the EFF [Extended […]